View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Model A Estate Plans

And I am in agreement with Jim/Ga and Fairview. Keep a car or two to have fun with, perhaps the best ones ya got.

After you die, the heirs can do what they want with them. If they choose not to keep them and sell, well that's a few bucks in their pockets they didn't have anyway.

I go to all the farm sales and auctions around here that have an antique car listed, mainly just to watch and learn. Plus I just like the old cars.

I've never bought one at these sales. BUT I will relate to you a glaring fact. There IS interest I see it over and over and even from the young guys.

One farm sale I went to a few years ago had a '27 or '28 Chevy Coupe, all original, it hadn't run in years, but was almost all there. It was a neat old car.

The bidding was hot and heavy, car sold for some pretty strong dollars, and a guy in his early 20's bought the car. I figured he was going to rod it. I talked to him after the sale and asked him what his plans were. He said 'My dad and I are going to restore it back to 100% stock.' He was real excited about the car. I see this same enthusiasm over and over again.

At a different sale I watched a '30 Ford Model A Roadster sell for $20,000. It was a genuine turd. I wouldn't have wanted that thing as a gift. It had a very crude 'restoration' done to it, none of the body panels were aligned, the rumble seat lid was so far off there was no way to shut it, it had a paint job that looked like it had been done at the Lincoln Girl's School for the Blind. And they must have used a floor mop. Bondo everywhere. It had a 'top' somebody made at home out of old 'My Pillow' pillow casings. Pure white. Rats had eaten up the crappy seats. It ran. Boy did it run. Oil all over the place. I was shocked by what it sold for, and it took two guys that wanted it to bid up that high.

My point is, so maybe your Model A didn't sell for the $19K you thought it was worth. The extra money you were trying to get for your heirs. Instead, it went for $15K at auction. Big deal. You lost that $4,000 the minute you drove that new car you just bought off the lot and that didn't seem to matter so why does it now?

And your heirs don't care. I assure you that. They just got free money in their pockets they didn't have before.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 07-21-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote