View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #30
BillCook

Send a message via Yahoo to BillCook
Default Re: A question for old guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
For my friends also in their "golden years:” How are you coping with the aging process vis-a-vis working on your A? Personally, with arthritis and a sensitive back, I am increasingly reluctant to get under the cars for even something as elemental as checking the fluid level in the trans or doing a full chassis lube job. Major mechanics I would have tackled even just ten years ago, at the tender age of 65, now seem beyond my realistic capabilites. Pull an engine? A tranny? Nope. A rear end? Yikes!

I don’t have any grandchildren, inlaws, or step children who can help. My long-time go-to shop has essentially closed down for Covid, but at his age, maybe forever. My former club is populated by a similar aged group, and is not an option.

I wouldn’t trust any local auto repair shops (they all think my ‘91 VW is an antique auto and refuse to work on it. I sure wouldn’t trust my A to any of them!)
IÂ’ll be 76 in 3 months, and I honestly donÂ’t know how IÂ’m going to accomplish the basic maintenance on my AÂ’s that IÂ’ve been doing for the last 50 years.

How about you? If your age is presenting similar problems, what are you doing, or what is your plan?
I’m goin through the same thing ,I’m building a 30 p/u ,I’m 72 no kids around so yes it’s tough,I had a carport to work under but my lousy neighbor complained to the town because it was 4” under regs too close to the fence ( my fence) had to remove so I’ll have to wait till spring to finish ,but I’m still lookin for body parts to finish ,stay well gents !
BillCook is offline   Reply With Quote