Thread: Loose Rod
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 09:12 AM   #26
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Loose Rod

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpson View Post
Well I learned something new today. In the 50 plus years I've been fooling around with old cars I've never heard about bearing shims like these. Has anyone actually tried them, do they work or are they like sawdust in the crankcase?
I have used the tapered shims behind the inserts--- I was shown how to use them in school. Was a Datsun 510 that ran with coolant in the oil, inserts all down to copper, crankshaft had some scoring, --- I do know it lasted over50 miles of towing a VWThrough the hills of western New York in second gear---- my 74 Chevrolet truck has them behind the inserts because the used crankshaft I found at the time was worn--- been 40 years since , still running, has more mileage than the original engine went --- at the time I figured it would be good for 50k, got 55k now-- the one used piston rattles some cold now, still holds good oil pressure
There's some fitting needed depending on how much shim you use, some has to be filed off the parting surface of the insert so it doesn't buckle--- file too much and it's too loose and will spit out shim and spin
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote