View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #16
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: 1934 Pickup Frustration- Ready to jump out a one story building

Spoke with Pete about his problem this morning. Grease goes through the fitting and I said there must be some old fried up grease in there that is impeding flow. But one thing Pete told me sticks with me - he was able to grease it once before when the wheel was at full lock (can’t remember which way). So, as one or more has said here, the bushing may have moved so the holes do not line up and no grease can flow.

So with the grease fitting out if you can go lock to lock trying to line up the grease fitting hole and the bushing hole perhaps using the top side of a drill bit that fits somewhat loose in the hole. If that bushing is moving it should get back to the right location at some point. I also said to remove the kingpin and see if the bushing is loose and inspectvthings andcsercwhatvelse might be the matter. Whatever way you do it, line things up, insert the kingpin and grease fitting and see what happens when you attempt to grease it. If it flows you have what is your problem. Although you can grease it now, new bushings should be installed along with new kingpins.

Unless the steering box is adjusted way too tight, and he has fiddled with this before with no luck, the grease issue, imho, is where the problem resides ...
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote