View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 01:55 AM   #3
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Shaping new wood to fit

Sorry, Mine's a 30 Town Sedan, but I did make a lot of my body wood. It helps to know that Henry Ford was a Toolmaker like myself. I say this , not to brag, but to give an idea of the skill levels necessary. The preferred wood is Ash, occasionally Maple and Walnut are used. Oak can be used but I wouldn't use it. Henry Ford worked close! The original prints had +/- .010. some sizes don't require that kind of accuracy, some do! There are very few angles and surfaces on the wood that are 90 deg. Square. And a few pieces are "keyed" into the adjacent pieces. These "Keys" (Tabs, Tongues) are angular and you must have an angle gauge in addition to a good machinist scale and Vernier Caliper. I don't mean to scare you but you should know what you're up against. If you'd like to see some pics of my attempts to make the wood for this car. Go to my profile, scroll down to "My A" and you'll see them. They're badly out order so go thru the whole batch.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctillberg View Post
Hi All
Beginning to shape new front pillars and header wood in my 29 Leatherback.
Having gotten this car in a partially deconstructed state, I'm unsure as to how close these pieces need to fit.
Can anyone share some pics of a finished state of the front corners of a leatherback - or maybe all sedans look the same?
thanks a bunch.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote