View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
DougVieyra

Default Re: How Many Model A's are left ?

One thing that is unique to the Ford Model A : whatever that unknown survival number is, what is sure, is that the number will continue to grow. With a great bulk of component parts cluttering up our 'back forty' we have an tremendous potential for 'growth'.

When I was first interested in and involved with the Model A in the mid-1950's (in those days when there were no 'Parts Houses'), every one I know who had a Model A, had at least an additional couple of frames, two or three engines, a stack of transmissions, a pile of rear-ends, boxes full of brake drums/backing plates, fenders, hoods, running boards, etc. etc. All of the essential 'guts and back bone' of what is needed to build a 'new' Model A are still present with us.

Unfortunately for me, I was/am one of those 'old codgers', and still swim in a sea of original Ford-made Model A parts. Now, while these bits and pieces may eventually be worked into the creation of a 'new' completed car, at the moment they only represent 'potential' - not existing Ford Model A's.

However, having such a large stock of original component parts is very encouraging. Ignoring places like BERT'S acres and acres of original Ford Model A cars, parts & 'bits and pieces' (what was called a 'Junk Yard' in the old days), there are a great many of Model A owners who have stock-piled component parts - a good portion of the 5 million Model A's that were made. (see Ford Barn Forum post "How Do U Store/Find ?") These will eventually add to our tally, ensuring that our venerable and ubiquitous Model A will survive in the public conscience forever more.

So whatever the number, either my conservative 170,000 or the more optimistic 250,000 - the number is relatively staggering, in relation to all the other surviving marques of the 1920's and 1930's. I suspect that we are not too far away (if not there already) that the general public will equate 'old car', 'antique car', 'historic car' etc., with the Ford Model A.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 11-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote