View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Conversion to 12 volt system

Converting to twelve volts is a VERY SIMPLE procedure . I allow mine to remain positive ground and no wires need to be changed or swapped . The original style wiring system uses large gauge wire that will carry 12 volts with no problem . It will be necessary to use a resister at the coil if the original style 1.5 OHM coil is used . I prefer to use a three OHM coil for better performance . I use the Pertronix flame thrower three OHM coil and no resister is needed . I use the original generator and set the adjustable brush for a 10 amp maximum charge rate . I use the Fun Projects voltage regulator that takes the place of the cut out . I use the generator for the original look . An alternator will give brighter lights because the alternator will put out more amps than an original generator is capable of producing . The Original starter works well on 12 volts . I prefer to use the modern starter drive for dependability . The generator runs cooler on 12 volts because of the lower amperage setting at the adjustable brush . If original look isn't important , the alternator will put out higher amps for brighter headlamps . I always replace all bulbs .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-03-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote