View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
Robert/Texas

Default Clutch Adjustment/Transmission Oil

Yesterday morning my wife and I took a ride in my ’28 roadster. We drove about 25 miles on rural roads with lots of starts and stops as she likes to photograph the deer and other wild animals she sees. I had been noticing that the car was getting harder to shift (double clutching) and it seemed to be getting worse.

When we got home, I checked the clutch adjustment (pedal should move 1 inch before feeling the clutch starting to engage). It measured about 1-1/2 inches so I decided to adjust it, but I checked the transmission oil first. The fluid was low, so I drained it and filled the transmission with Texaco Thurban SAE 250 fluid. The fluid that I drained out was quite thin and drained out quickly. The Texaco fluid is thick, like honey and took some time to get it into the transmission. I chose this because I had it and 250 weight fluid is recommended by Lyle Meek on the MAGFA website.

I took the car for a test drive and the problem was much worse. It was just about impossible to shift/double clutch without grinding the gears.
This morning I adjusted the clutch so that pedal moves 1 inch until starting to engage. This didn’t help at all.

I fear that I have a much more serious problem. All help and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote