View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
PeterC

Default Re: Different Temps! Different Sounds! NEW INPUT

Had some great input from our resident Flathead Guru Joe Abbin **. Fascinating info I was not certainly not familiar with for sure!

**With Joe's permission to share ...

-----------

Hi Peter,
The flathead block geometry is not symmetrical. See my books and factory service bulletins for engine geometry details. The result is that if the right and left heads have identical combustion chambers, the driver's side will have have a slightly higher compression ratio. The result is that the passenger side is not as efficient (higher exhaust and coolant temperature) and louder (less combustion gas expansion). The factory 59A heads and most aftermarket heads are identical right to left (interchangeable) and exhibit the behavior you and I have noticed. Some earlier factory heads had 2-3 cc different combustion chamber volumes left to right to compensate.

We also note that the left and right hand engine cooling passages are independent (not connected except in the radiator) and may not be identical, thereby contributing to the differences we observe.

Your engine combo looks great!
Flatheads Forever,
Joe Abbin, Flathead Engine Adviser

www.roadrunnerengineering.com
Roadrunner Engineering - Home - Supercharge Your Ford Flathead
HOME Featuring books and supercharger kits for Flathead Ford engines. Click on Menu Items to the left to see more. Contact us at [email protected] Roadrunner Engineering / PO Box 53296 / Albuquerque, NM 87153
www.roadrunnerengineering.com
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote