Thread: Brake linings
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #18
larrys40

Default Re: Brake linings

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
I just went thru a complete job on my brakes but had no luck at all getting the shoes (woven) arched. I went to many places, many mechanics old and older but had no luck. They had all heard of it but could not do it. My search included Model A shops and others. I guess my shoes are OK because my brakes are now very good. ' Are Model A shoes/linings you can buy new from the many suppliers we have available, arched pretty closely to the curve of drums ? Are we talking thousandths here or something a lot less. Just curious. Thanks for your opinions. Bill in Maine
Pete/Darin ,
Arcing the shoes to drums is part of my standard procedure for comprehensive brake jobs I do. I only do them for the brake jobs I’m doing. It does make a difference along with centering and Proper track restoration. It along with proper centering of the shoes along with proper system restoration is what will give you great brakes weather they are woven or molded/bonded linings.

I’m surprised you can’t find someone in the Model A or v8 circles up your way that can do it. My machine is part of my cache of equipment for doing a proper brake job. I’ve done many A brakes and when I gave the seminar at Dearborn last year on brakes noted that it is an important step.
You might ask Jeff at Brattons if he know’s of anyone up northeast that can do them.
Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 04-05-2020 at 08:21 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote