View Single Post
Old 12-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #31
rhphotord

Default Re: Flathead running cold

Revisiting my original entry into the ongoing thermostat saga. Bought Stant 14157 170 degree stats and they were too big for the Edelbrock water outlets. Fine bought Stant 1308 180 degree stats as suggested by a more seasoned flathead guy than I. They were also too big so I trimmed the O.D. to fit in the Edelbrock outlets. They had a snug fit so I thought great, they have less chance of flipping over. Tested the stats again for proper function using a infra red temp guage, Great opening fine! Installed the stats filled the cooling system....what a mess that was. Fired her up and watched the temp guage climb..up to 180..now we are cooking! Oops kept climbing,185,190, crap hit 245 and shut it down! Took continual remote engine temp readings at the water outlets and temp never reached 180 so the stats never opened. Engine block and heads were hot so temp guage is accurate. What a pain in the arse!
Drained the cooling system yet again. If I wasn't so utterly pissed and frustrated I'd think this almost funny.
Now I'm back to running no stats. Engine hits that magical 160 degree mark and stays there. Fight this battle again in the spring.
BY the way, Merry Christmas and happy and healthy New Year

Last edited by rhphotord; 12-17-2020 at 12:02 PM.
rhphotord is offline   Reply With Quote