View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
CabrioletDon

Default Re: How are 28-29 and 30-31 radiators different?

Hi, Steve and Johnny...just so you know why I'm questioning and seem to be mystified, I inherited this car from my father when he died in 2010, he had been assembling it over the previous 20 years or so. Wish I could ask him about some details, instead I'm having to sort out and correct issues as I go, like the cross member. The radiator seems to be pretty new or at least re-cored, I'm not sure what its origin was. It fitted correctly on the car when it had the 28-29 cross member on it, and with me learning as I go, I figured that a radiator was a radiator, and that it would fit on the new (and correct) cross member. It looks, though, like the radiator mounting brackets have holes that are too far to the back (off center) so that when the radiator is installed, it's sitting about 3/4" or maybe 1" too far forward, and the front of the radiator is hanging off of the cross member. The brackets look like there may have been a hole forward of that (see one of my first photos in this thread) that was filled in, or maybe that's just a press mark from forming. Steve, when the radiator is stood up straight, I still have about an 1 1/4" from the back surface of the radiator to the front of the water pump/fan shaft, and a rough fitting of the previous upper radiator hose looks as if it will be about 1" or more short. I would be up for modifying the radiator by drilling new mounting holes, on the other hand, if there are other differences between the 28-29 and 30-31 radiators like height, fittings, etc., I may need to sell or trade the existing radiator for the correct one, so I hate to start drilling or modifying without knowing the correct route. Any direction or clarification will be much appreciated! I just hate not knowing which direction to go... Thanks, Don
CabrioletDon is offline   Reply With Quote