View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #34
700rpm

Default Re: Bone Stock or Modified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Why do you say "Rumble seats are not safe"?.
If you are in an accident in your A rumble seat passengers are at a great risk of serious injury. If it is a rear-ender, the seat back can be thrown forward and increase the injury front and back to the person also being thrown forward. If the accident is a T-bone, the car is likely to be tipped over, throwing RS passengers out, especially small children, and children are the most often RS passengers. Our cars are top heavy and light weight compared with SUVs and large pickups, and a T-bone could cause an A to flip onto its top or roll over completely.

Seat belts and seat back stops might help, but in 60 years of owning and driving A’s I have never seen these installed in a rumble, and even if they were, adequate and secure anchoring would be necessary, and could present a false sense of safety.

In any accident now in an A vs a modern car or truck the A is going to lose, but at least in a closed car you have more protection than sitting in an open rumble seat.

Considering today’s cars, speeds, and traffic, these risks are more than I wanted to assume. So I quit letting people ride in my RS and converted it to a trunk. It just seemed like a safe, responsible and practical thing to do.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote