View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Bone Stock or Modified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
My opinion has changed over the last 60 years. As a teenager I was an advocate of bone stock. Now I am with CarlG and others that modifications that improve reliability and safety, and that do not take away from the Model A experience, are OK. Especially modifications that increase safety, like turn indicators and improvements to the brakes. I am not going to criticize others who want to do more radical modifications or even hot rod a car, but it is not for me.
There is a real irony in many hobbyist's perception that often things are done to improve safety and/or reliability. When you stop to study those comments, it should quickly be a realization that these cars were very reliable in stock form which is the main reason why they are still with us today. So often, components such as electronic ignition systems, modern steering gearboxes, alternators, et/al as installed under the auspice that it was done to 'make their Model-A a reliable driver' when for 50 years prior, the very same cars were very reliable drivers without those 'upgrades'.

From a safety standpoint, some will argue that cast iron drums are a must when driving today. When you take a moment to consider that original steel drums that are within factory specs will stop well enough to slide the wheels/tires, it begs the question of whether cast drums are really needed. So on that note, most people do not drive their A as it was designed for, -or intended. Therefore it really isn't a safety issue but more of a compensation for poor driving habits. Always descending a hill in the same gear that you would go up the hill is the proper way to preserve brakes. Not charging up to a stop sign or traffic signal before applying the brakes is the proper driving method. I have found that a stock braking system that is properly adjusted can make multiple hard braking stops without any appreciable brake fading. So it isn't that the cast iron drums are needed as a safety item, -it is they are needed to replace worn factory components or to replace prudent driving.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote