View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #30
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Most Difficult Restoration Tasks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Woody View Post
Sometimes the hardest part is getting motivated. I have so many things to work on (besides the cars) that it is sometimes overwhelming. Once my hands are dirty I tend to be in a happy place, I just have to get out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Sometimes the hardest part is getting motivated x2

cant tell you how many times Ive gone out to the garage to work, get side tracked, and just admire the heap of rust and wood and go back inside .....

I will share a little secret from my side of the fence. I got this trick from from my Dad and I have modified it for my business. It is very easy to get overwhelmed, ...and especially if you have multiple projects going on simultaneously. I set-up a generic 'To-do' list for each project we have going on in the shop. Many people that have visited my shop have seen these lists. For the overall project, we have each of the tasks listed on a spreadsheet by individual components, -then individual tasks needed, -and then by projected priority. Our master list has between 800 - 850 tasks listed for the overall project depending on bodystyle. Then each discipline for us (Cleaning, Wood, Sheetmetal, Paint, Upholstery, Machine, etc.) has even more detailed items broken down by component on a separate list.

For example, in the Wood area, if we are working on a Tudor, the master list just says 'Fabricate Wood' however the separate Wood list has each of the different pieces listed so they can be checked-off as they are fabricated. Naturally this is probably WAY more detailed for most home hobbyists however this list is still needed for your project. Make a list going over each facet of what you are planning on doing in your project. Make a priority of what components need to be restored, and set predecessors of that task. For example, if you have 'Restore Frame' written on your list, you need to list each of the tasks you will need to do to restore the frame. For example, before you paint the frame, you know you need to strip the frame, so list that. Before you bodywork the frame you know you need to straighten the frame. Before you straighten the frame, you need to check for and repair defects (-cracks, deep pits, missing rivets, etc.). Excel allows you to sort these tasks easily and then you print your list. On ours, we print the list in Landscape mode so we have more room for adding notes beside the task. That note might be a reminder to make sure you order & have rivets, or a replacement running board bracket, -or whatever on hand before you begin that task. Nothing wastes time & motivation like getting ready to do a particular task and not having the parts or tools at that moment to do the task.

While this seems like a lot of work (-and it is), it is a great way to stay motivated and on track with your project. When you first get into the garage, you look at your list and pick a task you will be doing first thing. This helps you resist getting side tracked as you are able to get focused immediately. Once that particular task is completed, you cross that job off your list however you don't throw away the completed list. Referring back to the list allows you to see exactly how far you have been. Also, when you are working on a particular task, as thoughts cross your mind about other type tasks on your list, add those notes to your sheet for you to refer to later. I hope this 'it works for us' idea helps someone who might seem overwhelmed.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote