Thread: Mixing grease
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #10
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Mixing grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Wouldn't comparability become more of an issue when something like a wheel bearing is packed with grease which I would hope they would be cleaned anyway? If you get your car lube back in the day or now, they are going to pump if full of what they sell, which may not be what is in it now. Most areas you would be flushing out the old grease and more then likely the u-joint housing is mostly dry anyway.
I would agree if you are planning to use a somewhat "generic" grease. "Back in the day" I don't think there was anywhere NEAR the different configurations of grease as there are today. For the most part, grease was grease. Not so any more and the OP is considering gong to a "designer" grease. A quick story of why I pay close attention to grease types. about 14 years ago I was transferring water with my water truck for my brother. The pump (3" Bowie") needed greasing every load. I ran out of grease (I as using PetroCan synthetic IIRC) so I got a couple uses from my brother. The first use, I got about 2 pumps when the gun came up tight. Next zerk, same thing. I was only able to get 1-2 pumps in each of the 4 zerks then the gun came up tight. The truck had a grease gallery with hoses perhaps 2 feet long going to the pump. I thought "that's odd" and carried on. Next load, I could't get ANY grease in any of the zerks. I was unable to grease any of them for the rest of the day. When I got home, I took the hoses off and warmed them up in the shop and was still unable to push grease through them. I put them in boiling water to soften the plug and was finally able to force grease through them with considerable effort. Those hoses never did flow grease as easily as they did before the grease mix. The were always constricted. IMO, 99% of the time you can mix greases with no ill effects but experience has taught me that it is NOT 100% of the time and that one time can cause some REAL problems.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote