View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 11:17 PM   #51
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: The new Burtz Mosel A engine

I spoke with Tail Dragger on the phone this afternoon a couple of times and we exchanged text messages.

His earlier phone conversation was with John Lampl. He got my phone number from John.

He bought a new set of Federal Mogul 2020-CP standard inserts for the main bearings to replace the ones that were sanded.

One of the intermediate main bearing caps on his new engine had a notch that was not wide enough for the new bearing insert tab. Tail Dragger used a Dremel tool to widen the notch that allowed the bearing insert tab to fit with a slight clearance.

The new bearing inserts were installed in the cylinder block followed by the crankshaft.

The new bearing inserts were installed in the main bearing caps (after the notch was widened) and oiled Plastigage was laid across all inserts in the main caps.

The main bearing caps had their fasteners torqued to 55 lb-ft and then the caps were removed.

The Plastigage readings on all 5 main bearings agree with the tolerances specified in the Clevite Bearing Catalog (https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/me...s/eb-20-18.pdf) for CB-745P inserts.

Tail Dragger then cleaned off the Plastigage and reassembled everything with oil and is happy about the fit and how the crankshaft rotates.

I asked him to post his findings on FordBarn. Perhaps he can add more details.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote