View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #13
Mulletwagon

Default Re: Steering turn from center

This thread made me curious about my steering. Jacked up the '31 on the front axle and determined the wheel turns 2.4 turns lock to lock. Center to full right turn takes 1.1 turns but full left takes 1.3 turns. What also seems strange is the right wheel turns more right than the left wheel turns left even though the steering wheel turns less. This may be another of those quirky Model Aisms. Unlike modern cars, looks like the front wheels remain parallel in turns i.e, the inner wheel does not turn more than the outter wheel in a turn to track the different turn radius from the center of the turn circle. Is this true ? Would like to hear if anybody has equal steering wheel turns right and left. Some suggest a bent Pittman arm could be the culprit. They seem pretty stout and unlikely to bend. The steering arm on the left spindle seems more vulnerable to bending from a hard impact but never heard of one bending. Does this happen and is rebending something of a routine operation ? Would welcome a good "Model A Steering 101" from some of the old heads.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote