View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: Running In Advice

To begin with, the oil supply is 5 qts initially. There is always one qt in the dipper tray, hence the 4qts at oil change. Pouring a qt down the dist hole initially is good practice. I also squirt oil in the cylinders. I start the engine, set the spark at roughly half mast, depending on the engines response. A high comp head will take less advance. Continuing to adj the GAV as it warms, let it run at fast idle until its thoroughly warm, checking for oil and water leaks, then shut it off. The next day, I retorque the head nuts and check all the other nuts, especially manifold and exhaust clamp and fan belt. Then I take it for an easy drive, going no faster than 35 in high gear. Do not over advance the spark. Fords operators manual says to drive it at moderate speeds with the advance about half mast and only full advance at high speed. With a high comp head, you should not advance even at high speed over 28 degrees, or 3-4 clicks from the bottom.. Ford recommended not driving over 35 mph for the first 500 miles. One reputable engine builder I know says this is still good advice. In my experience, I agree.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote