View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Dan Ewing

Default Re: Running In Advice

Karl,

I recently broke in my engine after a complete rebuild to stock conditions. I had the cylinders re-bored and then honed to fit new pistons. I also had new babbit mains re-poured and set to .0015 and a lot of other rework that I don't need to go into right now.
So, I had the same question you do and here is what I did;
First of all I made sure that the engine was thoroughly lubed using engine pre-lube internally on all of the bearings and filled up the oil supply passages before I installed the valve cover. I also made sure that the cylinders were oiled. Next after the engine was installed, I poured 1 quart of oil into the distributor hole. Then I squirted a bit more oil into each cylinder through the plug openings. Next, after installing the distributor and setting the timing, I hand cranked (with great effort )the engine several revolutions. I did this to ensure good coating on the cylinder walls. You can probably get by without doing this as the first few revs of cranking (to start) will do the same thing.
I poured three more quarts into the engine for a total of 4 quarts. I checked the dip stick and found the oil level a little less than halfway between L and H.
I then cranked the engine. It coughed once. I hit the starter the second time and it fired up. I let it run for about 3 to 4 seconds and killed it. Went outside and re-checked everything and check the oil level again. Still about the same reading.
I cranked it a second time and let it run for about 10 seconds listening for any squeals or knocks. Afterwards repeated my engine checks. Everything still ok.
I cranked it a third time and let it run for about 30 seconds and repeated my checks.
I cranked it a fourth time and let it run for about 3 to 4 minutes. Shut it down and let everything cool down and then went back over and re-checked the head nuts and re-torqued. I let it set overnight and then the next day I cranked it up and drove it about ¼ mile round trip to the end of the street and back.
After this, I again rechecked everything. Then I drove it around the block never getting over about 20 MPH.
Over a period of about a week I worked my way up to about 45 MPH.
This was about 6 weeks ago and it is running great now.
Dan Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote