View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #16
Rustedjunk

Default Re: Wring crimping tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I'm not implying that you are wrong but my experience with British cars and motorcyles has given me a bit more insight that most. I've been able to find the old crimp type here in the US but sometimes they also mix them with the ones that can't be crimped made from machined brass. British terminals are sized to the wire by the number of strands which is a rough equivalent to the American wire gauge system. Most 12-volt systems use 18-gauge wire more than other sizes due to the higher voltage. Most 6-volt systems use 16 gauge on the average for less resistance to the lower voltage. This means a size change of terminals since 18 to 22 gauge terminals are used for smaller gauge 12-volt circuits and 14 to 16 are used for the larger gauge 6-volt circuits so voltage can have an effect.

The depth of the groove behind the tip is important for good locking of the bullet terminal in the blocks and single connector sockets. The diameter of the body bellow the groove is important for a good tight fit in the terminal sockets. Most of the British stuff I've worked with or checked out to date is different and generally smaller or of a different shape.

It's not you I don't trust. It's the vendor trying sell me something that won't work well or reliably that I don't trust. It's a little hard to b!tch at someone in the UK that I've purchased something from when even they likely wouldn't have any idea if it will be a good fit or not.

If they work for your 47 then that's great but which ones work and for what size wire? They use bullet connectors a long time in the UK and there are a world of different types.

http://www.britishwiring.com is located in Pennsylvania. I learned on European cars and after dealing with Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz, so I am not cavalier with any period of car. When I went to the shop in Minnesota that deals with the restoration of British cars, I brought the wire harness for the dome lights of my 47 Ford. Granted this is a new remake I got from one of our trusted vendors. I also brought one of our black connectors that is for our Fords. The British terminal fits snugly into our connector. No issues! The bullet terminals were the same width. That was comparing 14 gauge wire and 16 gauge wire, both which is very common in 12V cars, British, American, Japanese, and German. I didn't even touch 18 gauge wire.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote