View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: RIP: Eddie Haskell (Ken Osmond)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
He was an L.A. police officer and was wounded in the line of duty, which led to his retirement.

I was a Kar Krazy Kid back in those days, and watched all of these shows in the hope that I would see a Hot Rod (the shows were all made in California, weren't they?). Occasionally, I was rewarded, I think Wally had a '36 coupe in a couple of episodes, Bud from "Father Knows Best" had an "A" roadster pickup in a couple of scenes. I saw "real" hot rods on "The Life of Riley" and "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet". There were even some on "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" and even "Batman". They were a treat to my eyes up in boring Minnesota.

I remember virtually every car to which you're referring above. One in particular that comes to mind is the Chrisman Bros. coupe. This icon was instantly recognizable by it's unique hood/front end treatment which was accomplished when two '40 Ford hoods were "married" to form that one-off image. What is now known as one of the most-important early hot rods of all time ended-up under the ownership of George Barris, who in MY opinion was nothin' but a Bondo-slingin' bandit lookin' to make a quick buck. Sure enough, the Dobie Gillis studio called wanting something outlandish for an appearance on the show. George, in his infinitely-money-grubbing wisdom offered-up the Chrisman coupe, which he totally "gomezed" to look like the abhorration shown in the last picture below. It has since been mercifully and lovingly restored to it's original iteration. ALL of these shows you refer to are from the Golden Age of decent TV! DD

……………...

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote