View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Wheel balancing and weights

Well thanks, Mitch! but that probably isn't going to happen for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is my bad back. My wife gives me hell when I try lifting something like a tire. So I had my tires mounted and balanced on my truck upon purchase. I don't like it but whatcha gonna do when you're disabled? It's about $35 extra and that always galls me, someone charging me for something I can do myself. But at 72YO. I've got to admit I'm slowing down and my back's a special problem. I'm going to keep the balancer and I will just do Mod A wheels from time to time. Which brings us to the real question, Why does anyone need the degree of accuracy that the word "Smart" implies?In all my cars, for which I have mounted and balanced the tires in the last 40 years, I have never noticed any great difference in the "Modern" spin balancing and my archaic, old method. This like buying a two Lb hammer and it actually weighs 2.1 Lbs. Does it really make a difference? Then there's the problem of wheel weights themselves. What do you do when the error is just a little over or under the error indicated. I have shaved weights when the error was under, but there's not much you can do if it requires more weight to correct the error.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Hi Terry
Your close enough,,stop by with one of your bubbled tires and we'll check its accuracy on the smart weight balancer
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote