View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
dlshady

Default New build thread - My son's first car

All this recent talk of youngsters in the hobby got me to thinking that I should start a build thread for my 12 year old son Daniel's new summer project. He worked with my Dad and I in our restoration shop all last summer helping with whatever small projects we could find for him, but he told me a few months ago that he really wanted a project of his own for this summer.

After kicking around a few different ideas we all decided that a Model T speedster would make a great first project because they're fairly inexpensive and parts are plentiful, so we started looking. We checked out several leads but couldn't find anything in our price range until a strange twist of fate had me on the phone one evening talking Model A's with fellow FordBarner Racur96. During the course of conversation he mentioned that he had a 26 chassis that he wanted to sell, and it just so happened that the price was right and he was fairly close! Daniel spent his Spring Break working around the shop to earn money and we sold his dirt bike on Craigslist, so before the week was up he'd managed to earn enough to buy the chassis. (The SMOKIN' deal that Racur96 made us certainly helped! Thanks Adrian!) I had to laugh because he had a can of PB Blaster soaking down everything on the chassis before we even got it off the trailer!

I'll try to post periodic updates and make this a build thread of sorts, so here's the first couple photos.

Deron

dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote