View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #49
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

I really should have gone to the woody meet in San Diego. I am sort of laying out the floor plan or footprint of the body using these pickup fenders. I have now seen quite a few photos of commercial based woodies on various chassis. Most are rather slab sided, which is fine, but I want the sharp ridged crown of the pickup fenders to be parallel to the wood sides. They were from a parallel sided pickup box with no wheel tubs inside, which is stock '40-'47 ford 1/2 ton. I can take care of this with a wedge shaped forward section which includes both front and rear doors, then becoming parallel sided after the rear doors. The width of the rear section of the body would be something like 60-61" wide without going down to check. The flanged section of the un-cut pickup fenders would protrude inside the body and require a sturdy inner panel which would have a substantial flange to mate to the floor. I ask because it looks like most woodies have the angle or 'wedge' change behind the front door, not the rear door. It also seems the '40 ford built woody is quite a bit straighter in line than the '46, so I lean towards that look for my one-off commercial rig. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help as I start out.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote