View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 07:39 PM   #12
Kube

Default Re: pickup bed - assembled or disassembled

[QUOTE=moefuzz;1991879].

The meager few hundred $$ to have them assemble it on their correctly aligned jig/table is worth more than $$$ you'll ever save by attempting it yourself.

You will probably spend hundreds on materials and supplies over and above all the hours of fixing welds that burned not just thru the "factory" primer as well as burned or distorted the adjoining metal and then lumped up behind itself.

Pay the man.

good luck with your project,
moe of the north

It's not about the money, it's about doing the job right.
1) Weldable primer is total crap and I'd question the professionalism of anyone that wouldn't remove all of that crap prior to doing any serious painting.
2) Why would anyone burn or distort adjoining metal? Are they unable to weld properly? If so, then yes, perhaps they should buy an assembled box.
3) Why would you think the jig or fixture that they may (or may not) use to assemble these boxes is spot on? Have you not seen what much of the repop stuff fits like these days?

Maybe it's just me though I pray I am not alone in my desire to do things correctly. Correctly is more often than not the slower, more expensive route.