View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #40
40-A Twins

Default Re: ideas on a cheap wash tub?

This is the tub I made to soak some rims for another old car project in vinegar. There was a leftover 10" cardboard concrete tube form that I cut and spliced with glue to make a hoop about 24" diameter, then made a box with some old boards to make sure the hoop would not collapse when full of liquid. 2 Brake drums stacked in the center reduced the volume needed to fill it. 4 gallons of vinegar at $1.58 each diluted to 50% was enough to fill it. A sheet of cardboard underneath helps protect the plastic sheet from puncture, and I am careful when putting a rim in since this is 3.5 mil sheet.
Last time I made one of these cheap bathtubs it was sized to hold sheetmetal hood pieces, and when those were done, I transferred the liquid in a plastic garbage can and de-rusted everything that would fit. The tub only has to last until all the parts are done, then gets dismantled.
I would like to try using molasses, but there are nasty little stinky ants around here that would probably find it attractive and have a population explosion.
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vinegar bathtub.jpg (50.7 KB, 12 views)
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote