View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Starting the flathead with Chevy Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerdick View Post
I did have a Pentronix Flame Thrower coil with a 1.5 ohm internal resistor(12v by the way). I changed it out for a standard coil for use with external resistor. I wired it up according to the diagram which one wire from +side of coil to I post on voltage regulator then another wire also going from +side of coil to the resistor but that's where i was not sure where the wire went from the other side of the resistor. It looked like it was going to the switch? I will check to see if the plate is grounded. I would not think Bubba would overlook something as important as not grounding the plate.
If you are using the normal Chevy converted distributor, it is a straight single wiring setup.

With a 1.5 ohm coil, it is Ignition switch to the ballast resistor to the (+) terminal on the coil (sometimes labeled BAT). Then from the (-) coil terminal to the points/condenser (distributer). This coil terminal is sometimes labeled Dist.

With a 3.0 ohm coil, it is Ignition switch to the (+) terminal on the coil. Then from the (-) coil terminal to the Distributer.

The only thing that would be different is if the starter solenoid has the two terminals on the front, one of which is the ballast resistor by-pass during start up. If it has that there is a little difference in the wiring.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote