View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #92
FRANK PKNY

Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Just my 2 cents worth! I have been playing with old cars mostly Fords since 1958. Wow makes me older than I look? LOl I enjoy the chase for cars and parts, I often finish a project and sell it, in order to start another one . Well I'm turning 73 and it's getting harder to get things done, however I can deal with this because I have gained a lot of patience over the years, wisdom also comes with age. So I think? I am beginning to collect more cars then I have sold lately. Gave my son my 35 Cabriolet, however he does not show the necessary drive to get the restoration completed. Now to address my opinion, parts are getting dried up and hard to find, I will always pay dearly for a good part, either at a swap meet or on line. Why you ask? Because I have always found starting with very good parts costs less in the long run and I get a better product. To restore a rust bucket is fine , but I hate rust!!! Therefore I'll buy a more solid project to start with. JMHO I have purchased fine original cars that needed to be restored, over purchasing a hunk of junk and restoring it, not because I can't do the work , but because I get a better result on the finished product. Yes the TV shows have given the idea that old cars in general are worth all kinds of cash! But that's life, we must move forward and do what we enjoy. My interests have been in model T's through to 1956 or so I even owned a 60 Oldsmobile, because my father had one and I felt I needed to buy back my youth, sorry to say it did not work , I still am getting older. But that's a good thing because not doing so is not very good. Presently working on a 1946 Ford pick up truck. I paid dearly for this southern truck, some of the mechanical work was neglected, or not done properly. Since mechanical work is my forte I'm good with that. Presently rebuilding the transmission, it's ready to reinstall, hopefully this weekend. I purchased the parts from Mack Van Pelt , he is a straight up guy, purchased his transmission repair book, very well done. His book is far superior to the ford manual in my humble opinion. I found a NOS main drive shaft on epay for a reasonable price. Had I had to go to swap meets for the parts I would have never had the job done for years. Yes it's cheaper to spend more on line especially if you don't get a lot of free time. I think that the online sites have helped me do more work for less money in the long run. Gas has come down but it's not 34 cents a gallon anymore. Frank PKNY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160421_152518.jpg (69.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (77.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg working on the 35.jpg (61.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 39PICKUP.jpg (64.8 KB, 32 views)