View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #89
Rustedjunk

Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents into this.

I don't think the younger generation, in particular millennials have any interest in this hobby whatsoever.
They have no bond to these vehicles, their parents didn't own them, in some cases even their grand parents didn't.
They are not raised with any mechanical knowledge. The vehicles now are almost completely unserviceable.
And lastly, the generation that really knows these vehicles well is heading into their more advanced years.

At 47, I feel like I'm the youngest guy on here half the time.

Kirk
I got you beat by 8 years. And I beg to differ. I seen quite a few millennials who are interested in the hobby. That's why I make myself approachable, and willing to answer any questions they may have. Plus me being of a darker skin color and driving a late 40's hotrod and sold out to the flathead, younger people wanna know why I'm in the hobby. My 10 year old and 8 year old daughters love to pick up an screw driver or wrench to work on "Neuie" (our 47 Tudor) and my 13 year old nephew. So the interest is there. Plus it doesn't take much to make an Apple iPhone play music on your original tube radio.

Now my philosophy: For the past 15 or more years cars have gotten boring, plain, or just plain ugly with a lot of fluff gadgets. I look at cars on the road now and they are looking like creativity has been fading and designs are getting recycled. I think there will be a resurgence for our cars because they are beautiful, they have character. Our millennials could develop a direct injection for our beloved flathead, or the 30 mpg carbs. Who knows. Let's not look down on them. They can hold resentment too, and our hobby just fades in the rust. Think about it.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote