View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #84
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents into this.

I don't think the younger generation, in particular millennials have any interest in this hobby whatsoever.
They have no bond to these vehicles, their parents didn't own them, in some cases even their grand parents didn't.
They are not raised with any mechanical knowledge. The vehicles now are almost completely unserviceable.
And lastly, the generation that really knows these vehicles well is heading into their more advanced years.

At 47, I feel like I'm the youngest guy on here half the time.

Kirk
Kirk - you may be right but time passes much more quickly now than it did back then. Cars then were or are the computers and techno gadgets of today - they were different, intriguing, something new. I think we have to give the younger gen some more time - life has taken on such a rapid pace that I think it may very well be until your age until many will get into this stuff. Education, work, family responsibilities will take precedence first, and then there will be time enough for them to "catch up".

They will have the advantage of us, however - they will not be breaking new ground but recovering what ground we have already broken and much quicker than we did. They will have this and other forums, info on the internet, and so much at their fingertips with their techno savvy that much of what we know will be passed on via the very gadgets they so love to play with now.

But they will have to relearn what we already know, make the same mistakes we have already made, and have all the fun we have had all over again ..... not such a bad thing, wouldn't you say? Heck, they will probably be able to use a printer that will whittle out a brand new flathead block in aluminum, steel, or some new space age material. Now wouldn't that be something?!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote