View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #31
callcoy

Default Re: Sound Insulation

I have a Panel Delivery so it has given me a great deal of latitude in insulating and sound proofing. The roof has a thin veneer external skin which has allowed me to back it up with 1" rigid foam insulation. This material is skinned on both sides with reflective alum. In fact the side walls, doors, floors, cowl and the inside of the former fuel tank are all lined with the same material. The original fuel tank is stored away, the rusted out tank I am now using has had it's bottom removed. My A/C unit and front heater occupy the area where gas was once stored, not visable to all.

All of the interior is paneled in Oak, covering and holding the rigid foam in place. No effort has been taken to conceal what alum. is visible under the dash or under the floorboards. I want to take full advantage of the reflective qualities the alum. skin. The front doors where the foam would interfere with rolling down the windows, has been reduced to 1/2" material.

With a marginal cooling and heating system, the retention of the cooling or heating efforts is critical. The use of the 1" material should also offer excellent sound deadening. Can this approach be used on coupes, sedans and pick ups? I doubt it, I lucked out with all of the near flat surfaces in our truck.