View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Re: L100 vs Potvin 3/4 ???

Just what part of this is not understandable? So, if the car is cruising along at 1000 RPM in second gear and the throttle is stomped the Potvin 425 will deliver unmatched acceleration?? Maybe with 4;1 trans gear and 6:1 ring and pinion. Why have engine designers spent millions of dollars developing variable valve timing mechanisms? As I have said in my book, there is no free lunch. There are compromises when building an engine for daily transportation if the BEST overall performance is contemplated. From compression ratio, to valve timing, to carburetion. One size does not fit all.

Perhaps the most important aspect of any installation is that the owner is comfortable with his choice. If so, it does not matter whether or not HIS choice was the best option for all such vehicles. It only matters for HIS vehicle and should be confined therein. Each owner/driver has important points of interest regarding engine characteristics which should be understood before advice is dispensed. For an installation to "deliver punch", the definition of this "punch" resides in the eyes of each, individual, owner/driver. For example, I would not be happy giving up 15% of 1800 RPM torque while others, for the sake of having a radical, nasty, loping idle characteristic, and ability to rev beyond 4000 RPM would completely ignore such different performance.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote