View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: L100 vs Potvin 3/4 ???

Lots of good opinions and I agree with JWL on the fact that big cams will hurt the lower end of the power band (in any engine). So - you lose on the lower-end and gain on the top-end . . . same old story. If you chose a more mild grind, then the low-end will have more power. There is 'no replacement for displacement' when it comes to helping tame a snotty cam and return some low-end power.

I struggle with this at times . . . as I want big n' nasty cams, so I'm willing to sacrifice the low-end (and ease of stop-light drive-off driveability). I'll probably rev it more than I'd like (slipping the clutch a bit) and it maybe a bit of a dog for a bit, but then things start to take off and I'm happy.

Another consideration along this line is the overall weight of the car, gearing, tire-sizes, etc.. A big cam in a light AV8 roadster is a lot easier to drive than a big cam, with stiff gears and a 14 lb aluminum flywheel in a 40 Ford.

Just know what your goals are, let us know more about them - and also what the complete 'package' is that you're looking to put together.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote