View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: NEW starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I did polarize the regulator wheen I installed it. Identicle to the one taken off and wires went back to same places. I had a few minutes to day and removed the wire from the SMALL stud on the side of the generator, applied power and it still motored. There is a small ground strap from the gen to the block and the mounting is bare metal. The gen was taken to a shop and I was told it was good. Only thing he was concerned with iss the armature had a little front to rear movement, maybe a "smidge" over 1/8".
Paul

Paul ....This is NOT going well. I 've spent a lot of time involved with this for the past two days. Most IMPORTANTLY, I have attempted to be very methodical in asking questions. I've also tried to be very clear and detailed with my questions. I have asked you some very specific questions, but you tend to come back with FEW specific answers. I have a specific reason for asking each question of you.

PLEASE understand that I don't mind helping you at all. But I do not enjoy wasting OUR time. So.....I believe we should start over ONCE AGAIN. I will ask clear and detailed questions. I will number each question so as to make the answers easily identifiable. I will ask that you answer EACH question specifically and completely. I may make an explanatory comment after each question. These comments will begin with two X's (XX) so that you know it is not a question requiring an answer. Here goes!
__________________________________________________ _______

1. You say that you had the generator checked. You said that the ARMATURE post had some slight movement. Earlier, you said that the posts were NOT marked. Which post on generator are you calling the ARMATURE....the side post, or the rear post?

XX --BOTH of those generator posts should be insulated, and not able to move, even a smidge. That could POSSIBLY cause problems if either post is shorting to the case. It could also cause problems if there is a loose connection inside. The guy who checked your generator for you is an idiot!

2. You said that today, you removed the wire from the SMALL stud on generator (That SHOULD be the FIELD wire). You then said: "I removed the wire from the SMALL stud on the side of the generator, applied power and it still motored." When you did that, did you apply the power to that FIELD wire, or to the FIELD post on GENERATOR?

3. HOW did you apply that POWER? WHAT was that power source, and what was the approximate voltage?

4. Earlier in this thread, you indicated that you were NOT sure what the POLARIZING process involved. Then in my lengthy POST #12 above, I went through that POLARIZING process STEP by STEP. You indicate that you POLARIZED the regulator when you installed it. You HAVE NOT indicated that you POLARIZED it AGAIN after I explained the process, and I requested that you polarize it again, when I told you that we needed to start from scratch.

So, in THIS order, will you please (with engine and ignition turned-off) remove BATTERY CABLE at POSITIVE BATT post. Now, re-install that battery cable on POSITIVE BATT post. Carefully remove FIELD wire from REGULATOR.
Carefully, take the end of "FLD" wire and briefly TOUCH it to the "BAT" terminal on VOLTAGE REGulator. Do that a couple of times. You should see a slight spark each time. Now, carefully re-connect the "FLD" wire to the "FLD" terminal on voltage regulator. Now, have you re-polarized following that precise procedure?

XX... Paul, the reason that we must do this in an organized manner is because I don't have a clue what you have possibly done taking wires off in the wrong order, with power on, & with power off. Your loose post on GENERATOR may have shorted-out the generator, or even the regulator. You CAN'T just go poking around and disconnecting things hap-hazardly with some of these electrical systems.

5. I had asked that you RE-VERIFY that the wires are correctly hooked-up at generator & voltage regulator. I'm going to ask that you VERIFY that YOUR proper wires (both ends) DO MATCH the connections in the TOP HALF of colored drawing BELOW. Now, have you re-polarized following that precise procedure? Now, do you still have the 'motoring' problem?

So, what do we have, Paul? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)