View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #20
77Birdman

Default Re: AAA for breakdowns in antique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Mik View Post
I suppose I am the minority here, but I dropped AAA last month after 20 some years. They were not very easy to deal with and I got heavy Indian accent people when I would call. My wife had a bad experience with them, breaking down in an unsafe condition and them saying it was going to be 2 hours to get to her location. I ended up calling a local tow company who was there in 30 minutes to get her back on the road at a reasonable cost. Then I had a lockout with my Dodge Ram, far from home, with a load on the trailer. Again, they kept putting me off and 2 hours later I ended up looking up a local tow guy who showed up in 10 min to get me going, again very reasonable cost. He told me AAA are not as efficient as they used to be and I'm better off using my own insurance company. I looked into that and for $20/year they cover all the bases for my personal vehicles. For commercial I am just going to bite the bullet, take a chance, and pay out of pocket since it's very easy to look up someone on my phone. Independent tow guys I know locally cringed when I said I tried AAA as they do not like dealing with them anymore. My insurance agent even said he had dropped AAA due to bad experiences and long wait times. I have never used them for the A though as I drive it very close to home. To each his own I guess. I can always opt back in if things don't work out.
I hear ya! First thing I learned a long time ago, they asked me if I was in a safe place, I was, but my reply to them was that I wasnt and I was scared to death. They got there fairly quick.

I broke down in August, I did not realize that I was on the AAA auto pay plan. SO, I assumed I no longer had coverage. I was about 40 miles from home and even with the technology of my smart phone I had a horrible time trying to find a tow truck, AND I was broke down in a city. I finally called a friend that works at a local lumber yard and he gave me the no. of a guy that his company used. If not for that I may still be sitting there tying up traffic!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote