View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #48
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Finally some Cam Degree Numbers - Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
I appreciate the lesson in cam checking, but as the process has unfolded, I don't understand why more attention wasn't paid to the fact this cam ran fine in an earlier installation. It simply came down to "what caused the static timing to be so advanced. It wasn't the cam, demonstrated by prior use, but the cam was off time. The cam gear was the only component with which I had no prior use experience.

I generated the numbers requested for the cam which were actually quite relevant and helpfull, as both Int and Exh had the same lobe center, so a decent set of exhaust numbers said a lot. I am happy I did not succumb to pulling the heads again as it made no sense to do so with the info that was obtainable from the exhaust valve, and the cam history.

I did learn a lot from you guys, and I thank you for your time analyzing what info I was able to provide. Special thanks to "flatjack9" for coming up with the solution to the problem. His recommendation to retard the cam one tooth brought the timing right down to where it is supposed to be. The timing gear was miss-marked. I pulled the cam gear, advanced the crank one tooth, put the gear back on and walla, timing perfect. It runs great too.

I must add. I have become a believer in the wisdom of checking a cam early in a build.
Way to go Russ!!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote