View Single Post
Old 01-14-2024, 07:18 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Question about using Brumfield head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Yesterday I was fortunate to purchase a new Brumfield head from a private collection of Model A parts being liquidated near me. Apparently it was purchased new in 1995 according to a letter found in the box with the head from Brumfield-Finley in Waco, Texas. I see no trace of scoring on the head stud bosses or any other evidence that it has ever been installed. The letters B-F are the only identification marks cast into the head. It looks like the man that bought it was in the process of smoothing up some of the casting roughness in the combustion chamber and never finished. I plan to finish smoothing out the roughness of the last combustion chamber dome.

Questions:

-With a "B" grind cam and this head with a Model B carburetor and stock A ignition what kind of power increase would be expected from the stock 40 HP?

-What head gasket would be best when using this head? Any guesses about what the compression ratio is? I don't have any idea what the compression ratio is until I contact Brumfield.

-Who else is using a Brumfield head and what is your opinion of its performance characteristics?

Adding a couple of other things to your questions...

Using a Model-B carburetor on your engine can add some power 'if' either a modified Model-B intake manifold is used, -or is a stock Model-A manifold is bored oversize. The stock Model-A intake up-tube is 1.000" ID whereas the Model-B intake is 1.250 ID. Using a MOdel-B carb on a stock A manifold restricts the flow. I actually bore Model-A intakes to 1.300 and blend the ends.

Purely a speculation however since the 'B' engine (-with its' slightly less compression than your BF and all of the other 'B' components) was rated at around 50hp, I would say your expectations should be around 50hp - 55hp. Where you will see the greatest improvement with your combination will be with a Stipe or Burtz camshaft, followed by larger intake valves and opening the bowl areas.

The biggest downfall I have ever experienced with a BF head was they all seemed to need to go thru about a half-dozen heat cycles, and then be resurfaced. From then on, they would always be within 0.001 - 0.002 when you pulled them off on a rebuild.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote