View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 02:14 AM   #1060
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Camel Man is really Camel Woman.

It was about 10 years back my wife Patsy and I were traveling inland Kalgoorlie to Newman and overnighted at Cue. This tiny town was fascinating and likewise it’s history. Here goes.

Located in the remote Shire of Murchison which is located in the greater area known as the “Gold Fields” of Western Australia. Gold was discovered in 1893 and by 1900 Cue had a population of 10,000 (the 2016 census population count - 178). A town with many beautiful sandstone buildings but unfortunately the stone is soft and eroding. We visited two retail shops. One still had the flying fox cashier system which was still serviceable although they had no need of it. The second was a local clothes maker and seller trading as Camel Man. In fact the owner was a woman. Her name, Jayne Maes. A most hospitable and informative woman whose products were what stockmen and outback people would wear. Dudes too, as they liked to appear as important outdoor people. Yes, hand made on site. I always feel somewhat guilty because we never purchased anything. We simply did not need anything. I’ll never forget her pleasant and hospitable manner and I will send her a copy of this story. Whilst not timely it would be a thankyou. Thankyou Jayne.
Jayne had a number of camels and did solo expeditions across the desert which lasted for many days. I think she said her kids rode a camel to the school bus. She had good rapport with these animals to the extent she did not need to hobble at night even when trekking the remotest of areas. She spoke of the three phases of camel irritation, the first to spit, the second I don’t recall and the third was when they knelt down and crushed (killed) the brute who mistreated them.
Whilst the above may not interest many American readers the following will. Her shop was a former residence of the late U.S. president Herbert Hoover. Rather than me write about this time in his life I have copied from the internet. Here it is.

Herbert Clark Hoover (August 10, 1874 – October 20, 1964) was an American geologist and mining engineer who had worked at several mines in Western Australia before he was appointed Mining Superintendent (manager) of the Sons of Gwalia Mine from 1 May 1898.
Hoover, who was just 23 years old, immediately initiated radical changes to cut costs. He increased working hours, introduced single-handed work, ordered shift changes to occur at the working face rather than above ground, and stopped double time on Sundays as well as bonuses for working wet ground.
He employed contract labour from the pool of European migrants willing to work for lower wages, bringing him into conflict with the Miners’ Union which had already organised a number of strikes on the WA goldfields in a bid for better pay and conditions. He is reported to have written of the migrants, whom he regarded as his allies against the powerful union:

The young Hoover and one of several of his houses. This one is in Cue and Jayne occupied the section on the viewers right.

For those wishing to read further here is a link.
http://www.gwalia.org.au/history/herbert-hoover/
[/I][/SIZE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg herbert hoover 1898.jpg (8.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Cue_Shire_Offices.jpg (67.2 KB, 17 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 05-09-2021 at 02:33 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote