View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #1042
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Bill’s Birthday.

Yes, yesterday was Bill’s birthday. He turned 90. What a great afternoon I had meeting many of my clients from past years. They were or had been, like Bill, farmers and farmers are my favourite people. And farmers children who had moved away now returned, with their children, for this occasion. The venue was the machinery display or museum and it held many very old engines and tractors with brand names I had never heard of. I think I should go there and take some pictures and post them on this forum.
Bill is a special person and whilst I have known him for more than 40 years I have only recently got to know him. We were never able to converse except with difficulty. You see, Bill was deaf and conversation was at almost extreme volume plus he had never learned to form words correctly. Bill was easier to avoid.
It was as if a magic wand had been waved. Bill could hear and converse. Well. It was the cochlear ear or cochlear implant. That is an electrical devise which receives noise (vibrations), turns noise into electrical impulses and delivers it through a small diameter hole and carrier wire into the skull releasing them somehow into the cochlea. Whilst the reproduction is not perfect, the wearer can clearly understand conversation and further more learn how to form words and speak normally. The only disadvantage I understand is it destroys any hearing that may exist. So the decision to have one fitted really depends on whether or not you think your life will improve. For Bill and thousands of others it is a big resounding yes. Bill made a perfect and pleasant speech and all our hearts went out to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iStock_58527224_health_library.jpg (59.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg how-your-cochlear-implant-works.jpg (13.7 KB, 6 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 04-03-2021 at 06:37 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)