View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 12:25 AM   #15
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Timken front wheel bearings good source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
If a bearing is counterfeit, it most likely will be stamped "USA" just like the US one. That's how counterfeiting works.
Back in the 1960's Japanese bearings (and everything else they made) was considered rubbish. That has completely changed now. Some of he best bearings I use are from Japan and are much cheaper than Timken. IMO, fake Timkens cost the same as the real deal - that's how they make their $.
Having "USA" stamped on something doesn't mean much. In the 1960's, the Japanese opened up new Industrial city with suburbs called such things as "USA", "Manchester", "Sheffield", "England"etc. Technically, when they marked something "Made in Sheffield" or "Made in USA", they weren't lying.
Thanks Syncro.

The issue of counterfeit Timken bearings (that is, bearings marked "Timken", but are not made by Timken) is disturbing, and has been a long long standing problem for many companies.

I was actually referring to the post by by Joe K where he said "Timken Bearings today are made in china (or pacific rim)". If Timken is making them there, then they are not 'counterfeit' (by definition). Its these bearings that I was referring to. Sorry I was unclear.

So does Timken mark those chinese-made bearings as "Made In china"? As a business move, wouldn't the intended market for those chinese-made bearings be Asia, and not USA? Surely Timken still makes bearings in the USA for the USA market (and other countries)?

I just checked Berts and Snyders, both say their front wheel bearing sets are "Timken USA". The other suppliers are probably the same.
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote