Thread: Car at auction
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
bobH

Default Re: Car at auction

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just so y'all will know... That is the last car that RAK (Richard A Krist) restored, before his passing. RAK had a restoration shop in Orange County, and has done several award-winning cars. He was well known for paying attention to detail, and trying to do his restorations 'as henry did'. This particular car was done with the intention of trying for a Dearborn, at the Grand National in Dearborn. The car was done in time for the last Grand National, but unfortunately, health issues got in the way. So, I would say to any prospective interested parties, look this one over carefully. I believe you will find high quality and great attention to detail. By-the-way, that is a lacquer paint job, from material he saved from his shop, from back in the days when lacquer was readily available in ca. I would also mention, look closely at his attention to panel fit (without resorting to the tricks that are used today, by adding 'filler' to edges). In particular, notice how the doors fit. He put considerable effort into making the right door fit properly. Finally, this car has a Columbia, as his intention was that this would be a cross-country driver, after the judging.
Obviously, just my observation and opinion. (Bob, long time friend of RAK's)

Off-topic, but, if you look to page 38, of the current V8Times, bottom picture... That 40 Merc in the foreground was also RAK's. It was recently sold, and as noted in the magazine, it now belongs to Maree and Gary. Noteworthy about that 40, it's an original, never been apart. Yes, RAK painted it once, because the original paint went through and it was beginning to look shabby. But, he didn't take it apart. And simply paid great attention to preparation and detail. The 40 also has a Columbia, and during the more than 30 years that RAK owned it, it has made numerous cross country trips.

Last edited by bobH; 10-23-2020 at 12:19 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote