View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Wisdom of Stopping Engine by Choking It Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I wouldn't. As mentioned it will wash the oil off of the cylinders. Any excess gas is going to end up in the oil pan, eventually diluting the oil. No not a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Sounds like an old wives tale. Whether it would actually wash the cylinders a little, I don’t know, it it makes me cringe just thinking about it.!

Just to muddy up the waters here a bit. Ponder these thoughts for a bit;

.. ~ If gasoline typically evaporates when exposed to heat, what happens when a teaspoon, --or maybe two drips into a gallon of hot oil? Does it evaporate or does it dilute the oil?

.. ~ If it does dilute the oil, how much does it dilute it, -how long does the dilution last, -and what are the effects of this amount of dilution??

.. ~ If it does not evaporate before the engine cools, does it evaporate the next time the engine is at operating temperature? Did it evaporate in one or more cylinders due to a hot piston, or cylinder wall, -or a combustion chamber roof giving off heat just as the engine stopped running?

.. ~ If the gasoline finds its way past the first ring gap, and goes to the second ring gap, -is there enough liquid gasoline left to actually dilute any residual oil on the cylinder walls? If it does dilute the oil as the fuel drips, does it dilute the entire 360° circumference of the cylinder bore, or maybe one small little area?

.. ~ When an engine stops operating due to the ignition source stopping, what happens to the gasoline/air mixture left unburned in each cylinder?

.. ~ When a running engine is stopped, how long does it take before rust starts forming on the cylinder walls and piston rings. What happens to that rust when the engine is restarted?

I guess I view much of this question as we have always been told not to do this because it sounds believable that it would harm something, ...but in the grande scheme of things, I truly believe there is little, -if any, noticeable damage done using the choke to stop an engine from running.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote