View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
Big hammer

Default Re: Helpful Tips: Removing Perch Bolts From The Front Axle, Model A

My first axle that I disassembled the car was only 50 years old. I didn't have a press nor a torch, I was using liquid wrench at that time. Wanting to save the perch I blocked the axle upside down on the concrete floor, with a 2inch round brass punch and a ( Big hammer) I beat on the threaded end of the perch. Turning the axle over I then used a long bar and tried turning the perch, one way and then the other way. At first it would only move a hair, turned the axle over and again using the brass punch and a big hammer beat on the threaded end ( make sure you install a nut or two on the threads). Repeating until I could move the perch with now a steel punch. In the end I was able to reuse the perch.

The second two axles the spring perches were not saved, they were junk , so I used a torch on the perches and got them red hot and again liquid wrench ( it will burn when it gets hot) I beat the perches out, I may have cut the threads flush with the axle.

Side note : when using heat you heat a bolt, stud , perch not the mass part. Think of removing studs from an engine block using heat, heat the stud not the block. Heating a stud bolt perch the part expands and then when it cools is what breaks the parts loose.