View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #27
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Mounting Rumble Lid Hinges; Where Did I Go Wrong!?

I am the author of the 68C website.

I can tell you that the reproduction lid is made for the the reproduction hinges. The originals will NOT fit.

When I bought the Brookville lid and hinges I had the same problem you are having. I sent the lid back and the sent me a new lid that the hinges will come out to the correct distance apart.

Do not try to bend the hinges, they will break. I know.

The reproduction hinges are small in every direction. I could believe they are directly molded from factory hinges and the metal would shrink in every direction.

The being kept in mind.
Once you make the hinges have the correct width to fit the space between the brackets on the quarter panels you will next have to make the hole in that bracket larger to work with the shorter hinge.

I would start with a call to Brookville. You need to find out which parts are not in the correct position. You did not include pictures of the outside of the lid. How well does the edges of the qtrs match the sides of the lid?

You are also going to have to relocate the rumble latch position to get the body lines to match up and prevent from pulling down the rumble lid sheet metal. The latch collar MUST touch the metal under the latch handle hole. You may also have to relocate the hole a bit to be correct.

Yes, I did all of the above to get the lid to fit properly on my cabriolet.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote