View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Engine Steady Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

This is a great thread with some really wonderful information AND pictures, not to mention the links to MORE info. And I'm NOT here to bring an 'off topic' into this thread, but one of the pictures above in post #5 IMMEDIATELY made me think of a picture that many of you have seen me post in the past of what CAN happen when hanging an early ('32-'48) block on an engine stand in the conventional manner......by the extended BELLHOUSING. That bell casting is quite thin, and susceptible to cracking and dropping your "NOW-junk" flathead to the floor. By comparing these two pictures, you can now see exactly how the RED engine was bolted to the stand, using the two upper, center bolt holes. That is exactly where it cracked....just barely outside the hole on the driver side of casting. This should serve to at least suggest that my first picture of the RED engine is not a fake break, resulting from some other mishap. DD

I always put a 2X4 under the front, behind the pulley. Maybe not the best, but I do acknowledge the risk of not supporting the front of the engine on a stand. Good reminder though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FordFlathead150.jpg (73.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg FordFlathead151.jpg (57.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg FordFlathead152.jpg (52.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FordFlathead153.jpg (52.1 KB, 18 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote