View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
dmsfrr

Default Re: Identify Y block engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
Yes, thunderbird Cars had the rear draft tube, not side, front. Pass cars with tbird special engine option had front' side crankacase vent.
Yes, I believe this is correct. Likely due to a conflict with the front/side mounted breather canister, the T-Bird engine position in the frame (lower & farther back) and the steering linkage.
In addition to a 1¼ hole for the top rear mounted road draft tube the T-Bird valley pans also had a shorter 6 inch oil filler tube, for hood clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
the rear draft tube was used on all late y blocks.trucks and cars.i think they started using it as early as 58.
The road draft tube from the rear of the valley pan over the bell housing was used as early as '55 in T-Birds. My recollection is that most y-block valley pans don't have the rear vent hole for a road draft tube, so the lower front canister and vented filler cap would have been used for crankcase venting on those engines. I have seen a couple original(?) y-block valley pans with the rear vent hole set up to a pcv valve hose fitting at the base of the carb.
Beginning on the FE series engines in '58 the crankcase venting would probaby be something different, thru the tops of the valve covers(?), I haven't had my hands on one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
An engine installed in a T Bird would have a rear sump oil pan for starters.
Rear sump oil pan is easy to spot BUT it still does not mean its a 312.
Oldmics
Trucks also had a rear sump pan but they're about 2+ inches deeper than the T-Bird oil pan. They have an extra 'step' in them too and none were originally 312's.

We need casting numbers and pictures of the engine RodRocket is asking about, but he may have gone AWOL.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-28-2015 at 05:18 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote