View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #192
rotorwrench

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

I think GM had a type B beginning in 1967 until the name Dexron finally showed up. This is not the same as the Ford type B from 1959 which didn't stay around too long before Ford type D came along in the early 60s. All this makes for a lot of confusion and it likely always will.

My uncle was in the auto parts business back in the day and aftermarket ATF was ATF until GM, Ford, & Mopar started making more changes in the mid to late 60s. The Type F was for older Fords and not too much later the type CJ came along for the C6 due to shift complaints. The type CJ disappeared after the multi use Dexron III/Mercon started to show up in the parts stores. Dexron II/Mercon H was just as confusing. Marketing claims were all over the place on the aftermarket stuff. Seeing a quart can of Motorcraft Dexron II was just as confusing.

The 1964 Thunderbird I used to have loved the type F in the cruise-o-matic. When they shift, it's so quick you can hardly feel the torque change unless you really step on it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-10-2021 at 12:42 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote