View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Tom Endy

Default Re: Thanks for the Forditude boost

In the photo showing the flat side of the ring gear at the very bottom you can see where a number was inscribed free hand by some kind of vibraring tool. I have seen this on numerous original Ring gears. Usually you cannot see the number until the gear has been cleaned. This number should match a number that is stamped onto the end of the pinion gear.

My theory is that when the R&P was installed at the factory the worker took a pinion gear from stock that had a number stamped on it. He then inscribed the same number on the flat side of the ring gear he pulled from stock, thus they became a matched set and indeed were matched after a few hundred miles of operation.

I have seen these matching numbers, as such, so many times I am sure it was not a random thing, but a called out procedure. Is there anyone who has more knowledge of this?

In the failed unit above, as mentioned, the carrier is the early style and the bolts are the later style. The bolts were installed backwards. The early bolts have a domed head that notches into the carrier. It is not a good idea to mix early and late carrier hardware, it may have contributed to the failure.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote