View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #35
rotorwrench

Default Re: Rust Oleum spray cans

Rust-Oleum changed their pick up tube some time ago. They are designed to pick up fluid whether right side up or upside down. Now there is no guarantee about how it works while consistently held horizontally.

I'm not a big fan of their hard hat products any more. They were reliable about 30-years ago but not so much any more.

I've always removed the spray nozzles and put them in the cap with some lacquer thinner before storing any rattle can. I blow the thinner out with compressed air and carefully put it back on the can. If it can be cleared by inverting and spraying all the pick up tube contents out then I do that but not all of them are that way anymore.

I use more Tempo than others but I also use the Tisco paint since they are the only ones that carry colors that work well for my Ford 850 tractor. They are good for preservation but not necessarily for accurate restorations. It just depends on what color a person needs. I get my zinc chromate primer from Aircraft Spruce and it's reliable if properly cleared and cleaned after use. Rust-Oleum hard hat has some good matches for Caterpillar Yellow and a red that I use for aircraft gas caps and such. I've used this red and a bright white on tail rotor blades but it doesn't come out as well as polyurethane single stage does. I just hate the dry time. It takes too long. The old Epoxy color paint was the best but it is almost impossible to get unless a person purchases it by the 55-gallon drum load.

Spraymax 2K polyurethane clear coat is kind of a novel thing for rattle can users. It is genuine 2-part mix in one can. A person has to mix it in the can by pushing the activator button onto the bottom of the can and activating the mix. This stuff is spray it or lose it since once it's activated, it's pot life in limited. I's kind of a novel thing though for folks that want to have a urethane clear coating but want a rattle can to apply it with. The patent is likely out on it now so there may be others producing it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-13-2020 at 11:57 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote